Thursday, December 29, 2011

Family Favorite: Corny Cracker Casserole


I've made this a bunch of times for Thanksgiving and Christmas because I keep getting requests for it!  All the better because it's so easy that it's perfect for those busier times of year, plus you can prepare the whole thing a day ahead of time and just pop it in the oven when you need it.  It serves about 12 people, depending on appetites and how many other dishes are on the table. 

Here's the recipe, adapted from one my sister Laura gave me years ago.  Her version is a little healthier, but mine's tastier!  We only eat it on holidays, after all.  It's not supposed to be health food!  Besides, it has broccoli in it, so that makes it healthy.  Right?

Corny Cracker Casserole
3 (10-ounce) packages frozen whole kernal corn, thawed and drained
1 (10-ounce) package frozen chopped broccoli, thawed and drained
1 cup coarsely crushed rich round crackers (aka Ritz)
1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese (about 6 ounces)
1 cup whipping cream or half & half
2 eggs, beaten
4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) butter, cut into small pieces
1 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon black pepper

Topping
1 cup coarsely crushed rich round crackers
4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) butter, melted

Note: All amounts should be considered "more or less"--this is a forgiving recipe so don't go crazy with the measuring!  Pretty sure I usually up the amount of crushed crackers (both in the casserole and the topping) since I have to buy a big box to make this anyway.

To crush crackers without pulverizing them into crumbs, I put them into a plastic bag (to avoid a big mess) and lightly press on them with my meat tenderizer, but there are many ways to crush a cracker.


The key word is coarsely. Coarse pieces, like this, add a pleasing texture to the dish.


I like to shred my own cheese, too.  It's cheaper, and did you know they put cellulose in pre-shredded cheese to keep it from clumping?  Cellulose is basically sawdust, and who wants to eat that?  Plus, I got this nifty grater that collects the shreds in a measuring cup as you go.  I love using it!  Thanks, Mom!  (She gave it to me in the wishing well at my bridal shower.)


Place the broccoli and corn in a large bowl.

 
Add the rest of the ingredients (except the ones for the topping, of course). 


Mix them up good and pour the mixture into a casserole dish (sorry I don't know how many quarts the casserole dish should hold.  I just use "the big one").


Top it with the rest of the crushed crackers, then drizzle the whole thing with melted butter.


At this point, you can cover it and put it in the fridge for a few hours or overnight.  Gotta love that!


When you're ready to bake, pop the casserole in a 350-degree oven for about 45 minutes, or until the edges are bubbly.  I keep it covered for half the time, then uncover it for the rest of the baking time. 

And there you have it!  A superbly simple holiday side that the whole family will enjoy. 




No comments:

Post a Comment